Creating Stylized Animals is a 264-page instructional artbook that teaches stylized animal designs. This book is probably more suitable for intermediate artists who already know the basics of drawing. If you're a beginner who wants to challenge yourself, you'll still be able to learn (a lot) just that the learning curve is steeper.
This book is packed with tips and techniques from professional artists. There are plenty of beautiful illustrated examples accompanied by insightful text. The book covers the basics of animal design, followed by 7 detailed tutorials on conceptualising a design from start (idea, research, thumbnails) to end (drawing, colouring). Since the examples are quite varied and all the instructors are different, you get to learn different thought process and workflows.
If you want to design and draw fun, stylised animals, this book is for you.
Here's the list of contents:
- GETTING STARTED
- Character Appeal - Dave Mottram
- Stylizing Animals - Nathan Pangilinan
- Gesture and Pose - Gervais Merryweather
- Faces and Expressions - Francisco Rodriguez Hernandez-Tejero
- Anthropomorphism - Alex Gadelev
- Color Theory - Tom Van Rheenen
- The Stylizing Process - Cesar Vergara
- CHARACTER PROJECTS
- Villainous Hyena - Justin Runfola
- Greedy Pony - Andrea Femerstrand
- Snowy Owl - Tata Che
- Tropical Fish - Sean Anderson
- Happy Cat - Trudi Castle
- Poisonous Frog - Juan Useche
- Curious Magpie - Veronica Matei
- Skateboarding Turtle - Shannon Hallstein
- Monkey Mage - Rudy Siswanto
- Mystical Horse - Marlene Beaube
- Snowboarder Samoyed - Erika Wiseman
- Cute Pigeon - Meike Schneider
If you like this book, check out Force: Animal Drawing: Animal Locomotion and Design Concepts for Animators by Mike Mattesi and The Art of Animal Character Design by David Colman too.
Check out other books on animal art here: https://www.parkablogs.com/category/tags/animal-art
Visit Amazon to check out more reviews.
The links below are affiliate links, which means I earn some commission from each purchase, but at no extra cost to you.