This course focuses on painting architectural, more specifically cityscapes, with ink and watercolour. It's kinda like urban sketching. The stuff that he talks about I definitely can relate to since I'm into architectural art and urban sketching. Painting a scene or location is really about capturing the experience, the moment, and that this course brings across really well.
This course is very detailed and insightful, and is suitable for beginners with no knowledge of drawing and painting.
The tools you'll need for the course are pencil, pens, watercolour paint, palette, brushes and watercolour paper.
Alex Hillkurtz is a fantastic teacher that not only teaches you the techniques, but also explains the concepts so that you can understand the concepts thoroughly.
Many of the art fundamentals are cover, such as perspective which is needed since the course focuses on buildings, there are also tips on choosing the best view, composition, drafting with pencil and pen.
The watercolour painting process is fun. Hillkurtz has this loose suggestive style that looks great, and that really plays to the strength of watercolour colour.
The final watercolour project is step by step so that you can follow along easily.
I find this course to be quite comprehensive. It really covers basic knowledge and techniques beginners should know, and also goes into detail on the thought process while painting.
This is an insightful course that I can recommend easily to anyone who wants to learn architectural watercolour painting.
5 out of 5 stars
If you like this course, check out these other related courses too:
- Architectural Illustration: Bring Design Concepts to Life by JJ Zanetta
- Architectural Drawing: From Paper to Photoshop by David Drazil
- Expressive Architectural Sketching with Colored Markers by Albert Kiefer (this one is fun)
- Architectural Drawing: From Imagination to Conceptualization
- Artistic Perspective: Interior Spaces from Your Point of View by Carlo Stanga
- Architectural Illustration with Watercolour by Gonzalo Ibanez
- Architectural Illustration: Capture a City’s Personality by Carlo Stanga (I like this one)
Oh, check out my own drawing courses too!
Check out the course and the reviews (2100+ students) on Domestika.
Price of the course will vary depending on whether there are any promotion.
Disclosure: This course was bought with my own money. When you buy any course through the Domestika affiliate links, I earn some commission at not extra cost to you