I was provided the ebook version by the author Nolan Clark for this review.
Top 25 Artist Mistakes is quite an useful book for beginners, and perhaps for advanced artists as well.
The book lists 25 of the most common mistakes that art practitioners make, then provides solutions and techniques to overcome them.
If you've ever wonder why your drawing doesn't look right even though it's completed, there might be something in this book to give you the answers. In addition to covering the basic art fundamentals, it also looks at details that will make your artworks more interesting, stronger in the composition and narrative.
Having read through the book, I've also picked up a few mistakes that I make at times. This is a book that I'll definitely read again in the future for reference. It's a helpful resource.
Here's the list of mistakes covered in the book
- Initial drawing wrong
- Not using artists license
- Not using lost and found lines
- Not using shadows correctly
- Not knowing colour mixing rules
- Background competes with focal point
- Combing photos incorrectly
- Not adding looking room
- Not completing the roundings
- Forgetting the sun direction
- Not applying the looking in effect
- Outlining everything
- Background lines match foreground lines
- Not getting the balance right
- Not using reflected light
- Not using atmospheric perspective
- No living objects
- Looking, but not seeing
- Incorrect perspective
- Wrong focal point placement
- Not matching colours correctly
- Not overlapping objects
- Not using contrasts correctly
- No focal point
- Not mastering the medium
Check out the free sample or the PDF version of the book at the author's website at https://www.artbynolan.com/top-25-artist-mistakes-book/
The paperback version is available on Amazon via the direct links below.
Visit Amazon to check out more reviews.
If you buy the links, I get a little commission that helps me get more books to feature.