Forums @ Parka Blogs
Book Review: Things I've learnt in my life so far by Stefan Sagmeister - Printable Version

+- Forums @ Parka Blogs (http://parkablogs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Books (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Graphic Design Books (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Book Review: Things I've learnt in my life so far by Stefan Sagmeister (/showthread.php?tid=262)

Book Review: Things I've learnt in my life so far by Stefan Sagmeister - c00ki3 - 20-11-2010 11:22 AM

[attachment=254]
[attachment=255]
[attachment=256]
[attachment=257]
[attachment=258]
[attachment=259]
[attachment=260]
[attachment=261]
[attachment=262]

Things I've learnt in my life so far
by Stefan Sagmeister

About the author:
Stefan Sagmeister is one of my favorite designers of all time. His clients include musicians like Lou Reed, the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith, as well as companies like HBO, the Guggenheim Museum and Time Warner.

One of his bizzare practice is to go on a year-long sabbatical every seven years, where he doesn't take work from clients. He is resolute in this and has even declined an offer to design a poster for Barack Obama's presidential campaign.

About the book:
This book originated as an idea from a list Stefan Sagmeister had made in his diary titled "Things I have leant in my life so far".

The list includes statements like "Trying to look good limits my life", "Everybody thinks they are right", and my favorite: "Worrying solves nothing".

From a simple list, Sagmeister have transformed these sentences into typographic works, from billboards in France to giant inflatable monkeys in public spaces.

Accompanied by essays from design historian Steven Heller, Guggenheim chief curator Nancy Spector, and UK psychologist Daniel Nettle, as well as Sagmeister's own words, the book is a complex blend of personal revelation, art and design.

It comes in a diecut slipcase with 15 different booklets, and shuffling the order of the booklets produces a different cover.

To get an idea of how the book format is like, view this Youtube video.

Personal review:
This book was immensely helpful in my growth as a graphic design student. It doesn't offer any photoshop tutorials, or any software mojos, but what it does offer are honest revelations relevant to any designer. For those feeling jaded or burnt out by the design process, this is a book I highly recommend.

Paperback: 248 pages
Publisher: Abrams (February 1, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0810995298
ISBN-13: 978-0810995291
Product Dimensions: 9.5 x 7 x 1.1 inches

Available at: Amazon (US | CA | UK | FR | DE | JP | Bookdepository US | UK

RE: Book Review: Things I've learnt in my life so far by Stefan Sagmeister - parka - 20-11-2010 11:38 PM

The presentation and construction of the book is really unique.